Saturday, May 12, 2012

75 Days

Sorry I didn't post on friday like I said I would, I got busy with training, fencing, and other prior obligations. To make up for it though, I will be posting when I'm in Dallas at the media summit because I'm sure I will have a lot to share.

Since tuesday, like I expected, the fencing really did get turned up a notch. Though I've been hitting the gym every day as well, when I go to fencing, people are showing up to fence. A lot of fencers have been busy studying for APs and IBs, as well as some who have been injured (especially Gerek Meinhardt) so fencing has been relatively slow. Yesterday though, almost everyone was there, which was nice change because I was able to really get some good fencing in with a lot of strong fencers with different styles. That coupled with my last swim practice with the Drew Swim Team and a whole week of weights and fencing, and you have a sore individual writing this blog the next day.

As far as the weights go, I think I have a pretty good routine that targets the muscles fencers use. I am focusing on fast-twitch muscle fibers (which help with sprints, fast reaction times, and explosive actions) in the biceps, triceps, forearms, quadriceps, and other muscles in the legs for explosive lunges, parries, extensions, circles, and other fencing actions. This means low repetitions of high weights as opposed to high repetitions of low weights that trains slow-twitch muscle fibers that are more essential to endurance. Though fencing bouts can take a long time, I still think that it is more important to train fast-twitch muscle fibers because there are constantly breaks with the referee making calls, one minute break period, etc. I will posting a full workout schedule near the end of my Senior Project. Today I leave for Dallas so I will be posting photos (if I'm allowed to) of the media summit when I get there.

On another note, on wednesday Elizabeth Cook from CBS channel 5 came to do a story on me and my family. It was cool experience with an obviously very experienced reporter, and I'm excited to see the outcome (she says it should come out sometime next week). Though she focuses exclusively on my family for the segment (she had an idea of a "fencing family" story), all I've accomplished would not have been possible without the help of my other coaches (especially Dean Hinton who has been a coach of mine since the beginning of my career), my teammates (who have been working hard, training with me, and pushing me to the next level the whole time), Drew School, and all the other friends and family that have given me constant support throughout the years. None of this would have happened without these guys and I really need to thank them for all I've accomplished.

75 days until the Games- The proximity to the Games are starting to really get to me, and I think this media summit is going to really get me thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment