Tuesday, May 8, 2012

79 Days

Fencing this week has been a little sluggish for my teammate (Gerek Meinhardt), who will be in London as well as the replacement athlete for the team event, is visiting his sister in Maine with a well needed (and deserved) break. With many of my other teammates still in school or not in training anymore, there has not been many people for me to train with at the club this week. I think it'll pick up this week though, I will be leaving for Seoul, Korea, for a World Cup (which I placed third in last year so it's an important one for me) in only a little over a week. With my next weekend being in Dallas for a media summit (which I'll cover later in this post, I'm actually pretty excited about it), I'm not going to have much time to fence otherwise. Luckily due to my Senior Project, I can make up for this lack of fencing with extra time at the gym. This week I've spent at least 3 hours a day at the Presidio YMCA working on my regimen, and I'm starting to feel some of the results already. My body feels stronger and I feel more energetic than normal.
With all this work though, I needed some sort of break so on Sunday I met up with a friend and watched The Avengers. It was an insane movie: two and a half hours of pure action and laughs. Definitely a well needed break to all the training I've been doing, sometimes i just have to kick back and relax.

About my Media Summit I mentioned earlier, I'm going to be flying to Dallas, Texas, on saturday for it. Basically, NBC is gathering about 115 of the nation's top athletes (2012 Olympic hopefuls and qualified athletes) for a huge two day event of press conferences, photo shoots, interviews, the whole nine yards. Though I'm already getting used to some of the media attention back home in San Francisco, this will really be a first for me because this is the first time where I have to go somewhere for a full day (well two actually, which is even crazier) of just meeting with the press. There are supposed to be more than 400 members of the press involved in the whole thing! I'll get a chance to stand up with high profile athletes in other sports (I've been told that athletes, such as Michael Phelps and Shawn Johnson just to name a couple, have done it before/may be doing it this year, but I'm not positive) and share my story and opinions. I'm really looking forward to this because not only can I help raise the awareness of myself and fencing as a sport, but I will also get a chance to meet with a lot of my future teammates who I will see again in London. It should definitely be a cool experience and I will definitely be updating my blog there (hopefully with pictures as well).

79 days until the Games- still hasn't really hit me, but I'm definitely starting to feel some of the pressure already.

No comments:

Post a Comment